Finding My Helper Part
Bully Behavior Curriculum Page 3
Author: Lynne Namka, Ed. D
Each of us has an internal stop sign that stops us from doing things that harm others. We all have an inner stop sign or stop light! This is our Helper Part which steers us away from doing wrong. What do you do to keep from saying and doing mean things?
Mean attacks often happen when we have bad feelings that well up inside. Then the bad feelings pop out and hurt someone else. Mean attacks happen when we are grumpy or tired.
Your challenge is to find the part of you that stops the action when you are angry and want to strike out. What stops you from hurting others? Describe it and give it a name. Where does it live in you body? What types of words does it say to you? What does it say when you are upset? How can you use this stop sign to build peace?
- Working to build peace in the world makes me feel powerful.
- My Helper Part reminds me to use my Helper Words.
- I let my mean attack pass.
- I use my words not my fists to help build peace in my world.
- I feel good about being responsible for all of my behavior.
- I stop doing those things that take away peace.
- I get my Helper Part to talk to my Ruff Tuff Part.