Handling Put Downs
Bully Behavior Curriculum Page 17
Author: Lynne Namka, Ed. D
Bad names and ugly words are called put downs. Put downs are things that people say when they feel bad inside and want you to feel bad too. What ugly names have you been called? What are the hurting words for you? How do you feel when someone says that to you? Why do you think people use put downs?
You need not catch something just because someone throws it at you. If someone threw you a porcupine, would you catch it? How about a slime ball? You can choose what you catch. Don’t catch name calling and ugly words. Let negative messages run off your back like a duck lets water run off its back. Deflect negative energy just as Wonder Woman deflects bullets with her wrist bands.
“Stop, stop, don’t you see
No put downs for you or me!
I won’t call you ugly names
No bad words can ever hurt me!”
Things to Think About When Someone Tries to Throw Put Downs on You
- What do you need to do?
- How can you take care of yourself?
- Remember to stop your tongue from using put downs.
- Did you remember to use your words?
- Show respect for all living things.
Helper Words For Children:
- I feel good about stopping myself from using put downs.
- I make myself strong inside so put downs do not get to me.
- I feel good about speaking up for myself when others use put downs.
- I protect myself from put downs when someone’s Ruff Tuff Part is out.
Helper Words To Stop Using Put Downs:
- I stop using put downs. I feel good about myself.
- I use a loud, firm voice to tell someone to stop using put downs.
- If someone uses put downs with my friend, I tell him to stop.
- Put downs do not solve my problem. Problem solving solves problems.